Friday 28 November 2014

My Last Post

This is my last blog post of the year. I may continue next year or may not. For this post, I would like to highlights the best parts of my English 1080 experience.

My favourite component of John’s course was the blogging activities. I thoroughly enjoyed writing every single blog entry. It allowed me to get creative, and it was always fun taking a break from the usual essay writing. I also enjoyed the blog posts because they allowed me to take on a different persona. I felt as if I were a famous writer publishing under a pen name.   In case you are not aware I am not the real Apu Nahasapeemapetilon, sorry for any misunderstandings.  

Taking this course has left me with a new view on literature. John’s way of teaching rejuvenated my interest in English. I learned that stories can have several different meanings. Prior to my enrollment in the course, I had always believed that every piece of literature would hold only one meaning but now my opinion has changed. I have learned that literature can be interpreted in an infinite number of ways. An example of this would be Homer’s “The Odyssey”. Although this piece is over 1000 years old, people still continue to find new interpretations for it.     

Finally, I would like to mention my favourite poem from the course. This poem is my favourite because it left me in a state of uncertainty. When we read the poem "My Papa's Waltz" the majority of the class believed it was about an abusive father but I did not believe that. I believed the poem was about a father and son having fun around the house. It was only when John mentioned that the message of the poem is interpreted differently by people based on their own experience with their father that I began to question my interpretation of literature. I began to think that maybe some of the messages I took away from stories and poems in the past may have been dictated by my personal experiences in life…or maybe not.

Thank for readings all my blog posts this year. I enjoyed having you here and I hope you enjoyed visiting.   

  

1 comments:

Human said...

Evolution man. It's scary!

Post a Comment

 
;